From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What magic does portage use?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 00:09:11
1 Daniel Troeder wrote:
2 > On 12/11/2009 08:00 PM, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On Friday 11 December 2009 17:07:17 Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>
9 >>>> Alan McKinnon wrote:
10 >>>>
11 >>>>
12 >>>>> On Friday 11 December 2009 15:16:01 Dale wrote:
13 >>>>>
14 >>>>>
15 >>>>>> Rebooting will also do all of this but it is not needed. From a
16 >>>>>> technical stand point, the only time you must reboot is to load a new
17 >>>>>> kernel.
18 >>>>>>
19 >>>>>>
20 >>>>> And these days, not even then :-)
21 >>>>>
22 >>>>> [it requires some voodoo but is certainly possible]
23 >>>>>
24 >>>>> [[and I don't mean build and install a new kernel, I really do mean loa
25 >>>>> ti into memory and run it, dispensing with the old one]]
26 >>>>>
27 >>>>>
28 >>>> I have read about that but never read something from someone who has
29 >>>> actually done it. I have always been curious as to how that would work,
30 >>>> in reality not just theory.
31 >>>>
32 >>>>
33 >>> kexec and CONFIG_RELOCATABLE
34 >>>
35 >>>
36 >>>
37 >>>> I have also wondered why a person would go to all that trouble.
38 >>>> Wouldn't all the services have to be restarted anyway?
39 >>>>
40 >>>>
41 >>> Nope. userspace ABI is stable so services just carry on as normal once
42 >>> he new kernel comes up. You don't need to restart SeaMonkey if you
43 >>> restart a local apache on your machine - same thing
44 >>>
45 >>>
46 >>>
47 >> That would be cool of you had a system that just couldn't be rebooted.
48 >> Is there such a thing tho? What would be the reason a machine just
49 >> could not be rebooted? I guess one would be if the puter was on planet
50 >> Mars maybe? Is that how NASA does it? lol Could you imagine getting a
51 >> blue screen of death on a computer that is on Mars? O_O
52 >>
53 >> Dale
54 >>
55 >> :-) :-)
56 >>
57 > A real world scenario would be a bank server doing transactions. Those
58 > big irons do never ever get shut down.
59 > (But they also don't ever get really updated ;)
60 >
61 > Did you know, that they still use cobol-code from decades ago. The code
62 > has to interact with newer systems, but the existing code is not allowed
63 > to be altered, they just run it inside hugh java application servers on
64 > their main frames :D
65 >
66 > Bye,
67 > Daniel
70 Well, I wish someone would tell my bank that. They are down pretty
71 regular "upgrading" something. I use the term upgrading lightly here.
72 It usually makes things worse but anyway. They run windoze on their rig
73 so they most likely can't help that. ;-)
74
75 Hearing they use old code is not to surprising actually. Look at air
76 traffic control. Every time they try to upgrade, it crashes. I guess
77 the cheapest bidder is not always the best. o_O
78
79 Dale
80