From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Problems with GRUB in the installation of Gentoo
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:11:00
1 On 2/12/06 11:21 AM, "Gilberto Martins" <zigotto@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 > On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 13:30 -0300, Gilberto Martins wrote:
5 >> Hi again ...
6 >> ---cut---
7 >>>> Then, kindly selected GRUB, and did this simple /boot/grub.conf file:
8 >>>>
9 >>>> default 0
10 >>>> timeout 0
11 >>>> splashimage=(dhb0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
12 > think this is a typo^, mine is:splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
13 >
14 > You are right, I did it wrong here. But the correct one is as you typed here.
15 >
16 >> Concerning to Kernel name, does it must have a specific name format ?
17 >> If yes, wich would be the name ?
18 > No i don't think is *has* to be a fixed name, but most people comply to
19 > some conventions (e.x. kernel-2.6.15-r3, gentoo-kernel-2.6.15-r4 etc.)
20 > Using 'genkernel' so don't remember, check install guide if interested.
21 > Check grub man page & guide as Grub has some strange naming conventions.
22 >
23 > I tried not to use genkernel, for I did some changes in kernel. Can
24 > any buddie confirm wich are the kernel file and others that must be
25 > copied to \boot after compiling it in hand ?
26 It can be called anything, but the file name you give it in /boot, of
27 course, has to be the one you call out in the grub.conf line. So, you copy
28 (for instance) arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/kernel-kernelversion (I
29 usually also copy .config to /boot/config-kernelversion).
30 >
31 > Thanks for all help you are giving. I was in other list many years
32 > ago, and left for I haven`t received help, but RTFM as answers. I just
33 > came here after reading gentoo handbook and Grub Manual and many
34 > relative docs.
35 >
36 > Thanks for help.
37 >>