From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 02:18:00
1 On 2021-05-27, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > All current XPS models seem to have 256G or 512G M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid
4 > State drives in the base configuration. Questions...
5 >
6 > * do NVMe drives function well under Gentoo (driver issues, etc)?
7
8 Yes. The kernel has supported NVMe drives for ages (since kernel 3.3):
9
10 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/NVMe
11 https://www.networkworld.com/article/3397006/nvme-on-linux.html
12 https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Solid_state_drive/NVMe
13
14 I run Gentoo on a Thinkpad T580 with an NVMe drive, and it has always
15 worked flawlessly.
16
17 > * how long do they hold up (wear and tear)?
18
19 Don't know.
20
21 > * can I simply disable them if I run into problems?
22
23 Sure: you can disable support in the kernel if you want to, but I
24 can't think why you would. They "just work."
27 Grant