From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logging my activity for audits
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:24:58
1 On 09/11/2018 06:51 AM, wiicontroller@×××××.com wrote:
2 > If by “all” activity, the customer means all activity, pam_tty_audit is
3 > the only solution I have heard of that fits the bill:
4 >
5 > https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/6/html/security_guide/sec-configuring_pam_for_auditing
6
7 I'm not familiar with pam_tty_audit, and I didn't see / find ssh in the
8 linked page. Does pam_tty_audit capture content from SSH sessions?
9 What about ssh remote command execution?
10
11 I can conceptually see how it could if it hooks low enough into the tty
12 layer.
13
14 > If by “all” activity, the customer means, “We want want a Serious
15 > Business Stamp,” I recommend getting creative with your shell's
16 > $HISTFILE, given that 98% of your activity occurs there.
17
18 I discourage this.
19
20 1) Depending on how it's done, it can break history across sessions.
21 2) The $HISTFILE is inherently user writable. Which means that the
22 user can modify it.
23 3) The $HISTFILE is a convenience.
24 4) The $HISTFILE is NOT an audit log.
25 5) Depending on how the shell is configured, commands can bypass the
26 $HISTFILE.
27 6) The $HISTFILE does nothing for people putting commands in a script
28 and then running the script. — I had someone do exactly this at my
29 last job.
30
31 I *HIGHLY* recommend running as much as you can through sudo. Sudo
32 events do end up in syslog on every system I've used.
37 Grant. . . .
38 unix || die