From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Issue 3 - CD Playing
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 13:07:32
1 On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Colleen Beamer
2 <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 10/19/11 05:45, Joerg Schilling wrote:
4 >> Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Hi everyone,
7 >>>
8 >>> I have googled this problem and tried everything and can't seem to
9 >>> resolve the issue.
10 >>>
11 >>> My CD drive will read data CD's, but will not play audio CD's.  I've
12 >>> tried with kscd and Kaffeine.  Haven't installed amarok yet.  I've
13 >>> checked and rechecked my settings in the kernel.  In /dev cdrom is a
14 >>> symlink to sr0.  Nothing I've read in anything that came up in my google
15 >>> search helped.
16 >> If you have only one CD drive, the CD will play with:
17 >>
18 >>       cdda2wav -e -B -N
19 >
20 > Thanks, but this isn't really necessary any longer.  The only thing that
21 > doesn't want to play an audio CD is kscd.  Kaffeine works fine.  Tried
22 > to install kaudiocreator to rip CD's, but it kept crashing on start so,
23 > I found Asunder and it works well.  So, despite the fact that I'm not
24 > 100% tickled since I'm a bit anal and like all things tied up in a neat
25 > little box with a bow, I have audio CD's playing in kaffeine and I am
26 > able to rip them using asunder.
27 >
28 > However, I will keep this for future reference in case I ever need it!  :-)
29 >
30 > Regards,
31
32 If you get around to trying other ways later then consider not using a
33 GUI at all for ripping CDs. Here's what I do, thanks to Joerg years
34 ago. Obviously change parameters as you see fit. One caveat about this
35 command set is that it doesn't grab any hidden tracks.
36
37 Cheers,
38 Mark
39
40 cdda2wav dev=1000,1,0 -vall -B -Owav -paranoia -speed=6
41 cdrecord dev=1000,1,0 -eject
42 cdrecord dev=1000,1,0 -v -speed=6 -dao -useinfo -text -eject *.wav
43 rm audio*