From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving house . . . /home
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 15:09:38
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Daniel Iliev wrote:
3 >
4 >> Dale wrote:
7 >>> Hi,
8 >>>
9 >>> I have a new install and I want to move as little as possible to the new
10 >>> /home partition. I really only want to save my emails and the filters
11 >>> and nothing else. What do I need to copy to do this? I use Mozilla,
12 >>> well Seamonkey now, for my email.
13 >>>
14 >>> I would even like to loose some of the settings in Mozilla if I can.
15 >>>
16 >>> Thanks
17 >>>
18 >>> Dale
19 >>>
20 >>> :-) :-)
21 >>>
22 >>>
23 >>>
24 >> Doesn't "rm -r /new-home/Dale/.mozilla ; cp -a /old-home/Dale/.mozilla
25 >> /new-home/Dale/" work?
30 > I'm not sure to be honest. I have this too:
33 >> root@smoker / # ls -l /home/dale/
34 >> total 371
35 >> drwxrwxr-x 4 dale users 400 Sep 19 20:20 Desktop
36 >> drwxrwxr-x 21 dale users 2560 Jan 23 2006 Mail
37 >> <<< SNIP >>>
38 >> root@smoker / #
39 >>
40 > I wasn't sure if the Mail directory needs to go or not. This install is
41 > about 3 years old. I used to use Kmail but I'm not sure if this is left
42 > overs from that or if Seamonkey uses it. I wanted to make sure before I
43 > did it though.
44 >
45 > I also wanted to loose all the Seamonkey, Mozilla, settings because I
46 > can not get adblock to work anymore. All it ever says is "pending". I
47 > wanted to keep email for sure and filters !IF! I can. I'll redo the
48 > filters if I need to.
49 >
50 > Won't copying the whole .mozilla directory copy settings and all?
51 >
52 > Dale
53 >
54 > :-) :-)
55 >
56 Well, I wrongly supposed I'd like to save all settings. If you don't
57 want them saved, then I think the way to go is:
58 1) delete the .mozilla's dir /home/$USER/.mozilla
59 2) Start seamonkey in order to create a fresh home folder
60 3) Open seamonkey-mail. >> Edditt >> Account Setting >> Server Settings.
61 Here you will find the directory under which the mail is saved.
62 Something like: /home/$USER/.thunderbird/ia8thvk6.default/ (yes, mine
63 is .thunderbird for obvious reasons ;-))
64
65 4) In "/old-home/" you'll find a similar directory, where your mails are
66 stored. Stop seamonkey, copy "old-folder/contents" into the freshh
67 folder and start seamonkey again.
68
69 The commands should be something like:
70
71 rm -r /new-home/$USER/.mozilla/
72 start seamonkey, take that "funky" name from the account settings, close
73 seamonky
74 cp -a /old-home/$USER/.mozilla/XXXXXXXXXX/*
75 /new-home/$USER/.mozilla/YYYYYYYYYY/
76
77 HTH
80 Best regards,