From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: [gentoo]Block certain websites
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 13:53:25
1 · Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>:
2
3 > On Sunday 16 September 2007, Alexander Skwar wrote:
4 >> · Balaviswanathan Vaidyanathan <vbnath1981@××××××××.in>:
5 >> > Hi all,
6 >> >
7 >> > This is to know how to block certain websites as I intend to set
8 >> > up a browsing centre based on Gentoo OS
9 >>
10 >> Forget about it. There are far too many open proxies out
11 >> there, like my own at
12 >> <http://alexander.skwar.name/~askwar/stuff/proxy/>
13 >
14 > /me makes a mental note to bookmark this
15
16 Feel free to use it. No guarantees about performance, though ;)
17
18 > /me makes another note to buy Alexander a beer next time I go to Europe
19 >
20 > :-)
21
22 *g* Thanks.
23
24 One important thing to note, though. It's important to remember
25 that the proxy operator could easily sniff all the traffic that's
26 going through the proxy. The proxy needs to be able to read the
27 traffic.
28
29 Now, I swear that *I* am not going to log any traffic going
30 through my system. But you've gotta decide if you trust me...
31
32 On a larger note, exactly this question was the reason for the
33 recent "tor problem", cf. <http://www.derangedsecurity.com/time-to-reveal%e2%80%a6/>
34 or <http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/11/1730258>.
35
36 Cheers,
37
38 Alexander Skwar
39
40 PS: *LOL* My signature is random. I _swear_ :)
41 --
42 Simon: "I swear - when it's appropriate."
43 Kaylee: "Simon, the whole point of swearing is that it ain't appropriate."
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list