From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: vbox-users-community@×××××××××××××××××.net
Subject: [gentoo-user] install of vbox guest-additions failing
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 15:08:01
1 Setup: Running gentoo updated as vbox vm on a
2 Solaris x86 host
3
4 Having a problem installing vbox guest additions.
5
6 Hard for me to tell if the problem is with vbox-guestadditions or if
7 the newest kernel (4.12.0) really has shortcomings.
8
9 Like always with guest-additions... I ran:
10
11 `bash /media/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run'
12
13 It went thru the process... and failed to announce that it failed as
14 I've seen in the past when something went wrong.
15
16 It just tells you to look at "/var/log/vboxadd-install.log' 'to see
17 what happened". I've included it below.
18
19 The log suggests two things to do, to keep this from happening.
20 "Run make oldconfig && make prepare"
21
22 I did that but installing guest-additions ended as below again.
23
24 Have I just failed to include something in the kernel build? Or is it
25 likely to be a problem with guest-additions"
26
27 I had these same guest additions installed successfully prior to
28 building the new kernel. And built the new kernel by inserting the
29 `.config' from my prior kernel (4.9.10) and running make oldconfig.
30 And finally checking things with make menuconfig.
31
32 It seems likely I failed to include something that was included in
33 prior kernel build... but not sure what it might be.
34
35 Below is the vboxadd-install.log ... I've included the main error
36 message inline... but attached the full content of the massive pile of
37 mess output from actual build of guest-additions to try to make this
38 post a bit easier to read.
39
40 ------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------
41
42 grep: /lib/modules/4.12.0-gentoo/build/include/linux/version.h: No such file or directory
43 make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C /lib/modules/4.12.0-gentoo/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0 SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
44 test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || ( \
45 echo >&2; \
46 echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
47 echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
48 echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."; \
49 echo >&2 ; \
50 /bin/false)
51
53
54 Full output of attempted build of vbox guest-additions:

vboxadd-install-170709_102238.log text/plain