From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] install of vbox guest-additions failing
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2017 17:14:01
1 On July 9, 2017 5:07:20 PM GMT+02:00, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 >Setup: Running gentoo updated as vbox vm on a
3 > Solaris x86 host
4 >
5 >Having a problem installing vbox guest additions.
6 >
7 >Hard for me to tell if the problem is with vbox-guestadditions or if
8 >the newest kernel (4.12.0) really has shortcomings.
9 >
10 >Like always with guest-additions... I ran:
11 >
12 > `bash /media/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run'
13 >
14 >It went thru the process... and failed to announce that it failed as
15 >I've seen in the past when something went wrong.
16 >
17 >It just tells you to look at "/var/log/vboxadd-install.log' 'to see
18 >what happened". I've included it below.
19 >
20 >The log suggests two things to do, to keep this from happening.
21 >"Run make oldconfig && make prepare"
22 >
23 >I did that but installing guest-additions ended as below again.
24 >
25 >Have I just failed to include something in the kernel build? Or is it
26 >likely to be a problem with guest-additions"
27 >
28 >I had these same guest additions installed successfully prior to
29 >building the new kernel. And built the new kernel by inserting the
30 >`.config' from my prior kernel (4.9.10) and running make oldconfig.
31 >And finally checking things with make menuconfig.
32 >
33 >It seems likely I failed to include something that was included in
34 >prior kernel build... but not sure what it might be.
35 >
36 >Below is the vboxadd-install.log ... I've included the main error
37 >message inline... but attached the full content of the massive pile of
38 >mess output from actual build of guest-additions to try to make this
39 >post a bit easier to read.
40 >
41 >------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------
42 >
43 >grep: /lib/modules/4.12.0-gentoo/build/include/linux/version.h: No such
44 >file or directory
45 >make KBUILD_VERBOSE=1 CONFIG_MODULE_SIG= -C
46 >/lib/modules/4.12.0-gentoo/build SUBDIRS=/tmp/vbox.0
47 >SRCROOT=/tmp/vbox.0 modules
48 >test -e include/generated/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf ||
49 >( \
50 >echo >&2; \
51 >echo >&2 " ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."; \
52 >echo >&2 " include/generated/autoconf.h or
53 >include/config/auto.conf are missing.";\
54 >echo >&2 " Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src
55 >to fix it."; \
56 >echo >&2 ; \
57 >/bin/false)
58 >
59 >------- ------- ---=--- ------- -------
60 >
61 >Full output of attempted build of vbox guest-additions:
62
63 Do you have module support enabled?
64
65 Is the /usr/src/linux symlink pointing to the correct kernel version?
66
67 In a VBOX VM, you would normally need to compile a kernel, the commands given are only needed when the sources are not used to compile the kernel.
70 Joost
71 --
72 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.