From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasma sound devices
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 20:00:51
1 On November 23, 2018 8:12:34 PM Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Friday, 23 November 2018 17:44:00 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >> Hello list,
5 >>
6 >> Over the last few days I've trimmed my plasma setup - to slightly below the
7 >> minimum, by which I mean that sound notification has stopped working. I can
8 >> hear streamed radio, but the plasma control panel doesn't show any devices
9 >> so I don't hear notifications.
10 >>
11 >> I've scanned the list of packages I removed but I can't see a likely
12 >> suspect, and google just returns results about having no sound at all,
13 >> which is not my case.
14 >>
15 >> Can anyone tell me which plasma module I need to install to hear
16 >> notifications again?
17 >>
18 >> Again, the hardware and low-level drivers are fine: it's just plasma that's
19 >> missing a component.
20 >
21 > I have the kde-plasma/plasma-meta installed here, although I do not run the
22 > plasma desktop. It has the USE flag pulseaudio enabled, which I suspect is
23 > needed to get things like desktop notifications working:
24 >
25 > [+ C ] pulseaudio
26 > kde-plasma/plasma-meta: Install Plasma applet for PulseAudio volume
27 > management
28 > [+ ] (5) 5.13.5 [gentoo]
29 > [+ ] (5) 5.14.3-r1 [gentoo]
30 >
31 > --
32 > Regards,
33 > Mick
34
35 For what it's worth, I don't have PulseAudio at all on my system and plasma
36 still does audible notifications. I think Dale may be closer to the
37 solution with the suggestion about kmix.