From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Plasma sound devices
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 18:12:34
1 On Friday, 23 November 2018 17:44:00 GMT Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > Over the last few days I've trimmed my plasma setup - to slightly below the
5 > minimum, by which I mean that sound notification has stopped working. I can
6 > hear streamed radio, but the plasma control panel doesn't show any devices
7 > so I don't hear notifications.
8 >
9 > I've scanned the list of packages I removed but I can't see a likely
10 > suspect, and google just returns results about having no sound at all,
11 > which is not my case.
12 >
13 > Can anyone tell me which plasma module I need to install to hear
14 > notifications again?
15 >
16 > Again, the hardware and low-level drivers are fine: it's just plasma that's
17 > missing a component.
18
19 I have the kde-plasma/plasma-meta installed here, although I do not run the
20 plasma desktop. It has the USE flag pulseaudio enabled, which I suspect is
21 needed to get things like desktop notifications working:
22
23 [+ C ] pulseaudio
24 kde-plasma/plasma-meta: Install Plasma applet for PulseAudio volume
25 management
26 [+ ] (5) 5.13.5 [gentoo]
27 [+ ] (5) 5.14.3-r1 [gentoo]
30 Regards,