From: Alexander Puchmayr <alexander.puchmayr@×××××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:01:17
1 Am Sonntag, 12. Oktober 2008 schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Sunday 12 October 2008 13:12:20 Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
3 > > > If it's a kernel panic you actually get debugging information on the
4 > > > console. It's just hidden "behind" the X server. Maybe you can
5 > > > reproduce the problem working without X (If you can do your work
6 > > > purely from the VTs)
7 > >
8 > > I've tried, but unfortunately, the X-Driver on my laptop (i965) does
9 > > also seem to have stability problems, after ca an hour it froze using
10 > > 100% cpu-time, unable to kill (nither kill or kill -9 did work). I
11 > > guess it didn't wakeup from DPMS :-(
12 >
13 > Here's a thought: if you have a spare machine, you could ssh in to your
14 > desktop and continue to work normally. The ssh session would be tailing
15 > an appropriate log, so even if the desktop goes south there's a good
16 > chance the error log is visible
17 >
18 > For something more persistent, you could try temporarily sending all logs
19 > to a remote log server. Remote logging is quite efficient, I usually find
20 > the only thing that gets in it's way is a complete instant kernel halt
21 > that brings the whole machine down without warning - this is extremely
22 > rare on production kernels
23
24 I really doubt that this works, the logger does not have the change to write
25 anything as soon the kernel crashed, neither on a local disk or remote. It
26 seems to be something you called the "instant kernel halt", and I have the
27 luck to mess around with one of these rare cases :-(
28
29 But to give it a chance, I'm running a "cat /proc/kmsg" on the desktop,
30 started via ssh as you suggested.
31
32 Alex