From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel crash - howto find out what happened?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 11:35:35
1 On Sunday 12 October 2008 13:12:20 Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
2 > > If it's a kernel panic you actually get debugging information on the
3 > > console. It's just hidden "behind" the X server. Maybe you can reproduce
4 > > the problem working without X (If you can do your work purely from the
5 > > VTs)
6 >
7 > I've tried, but unfortunately, the X-Driver on my laptop (i965) does also
8 > seem to have stability problems, after ca an hour it froze using 100%
9 > cpu-time, unable to kill (nither kill or kill -9 did work). I guess it
10 > didn't wakeup from DPMS :-(
11
12 Here's a thought: if you have a spare machine, you could ssh in to your
13 desktop and continue to work normally. The ssh session would be tailing an
14 appropriate log, so even if the desktop goes south there's a good chance the
15 error log is visible
16
17 For something more persistent, you could try temporarily sending all logs to a
18 remote log server. Remote logging is quite efficient, I usually find the only
19 thing that gets in it's way is a complete instant kernel halt that brings the
20 whole machine down without warning - this is extremely rare on production
21 kernels
24 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com