From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI video card with water cooler
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 22:04:03
1 On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > On Donnerstag 11 Dezember 2008, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> > Hello,
6 >> >
7 >> > I've been looking for an ATI graphics card
8 >> > with a water cooling system built in. I'm very
9 >> > tired of listen to the roar of a video card fan.
10 >> >
11 >> > Any suggestions? It does not need to be the latest
12 >> > smokin card, just reasonable at video games
13 >> > and quite as can be. R580 engine or above.
14 >> > Low dB is the primary concern, but it must be decent at video
15 >> > games. (PCI express 16) is the slot it must fit into.
16 >> >
17 >> > I prefer ATI over nvidia.
18 >> >
19 >> > After days of googling and nothing attractive
20 >> > (sub 200 USD) and pre assembled, I'm more open
21 >> > to the cost effectiveness of DIY. Any suggestions
22 >> > are most appreciated. Your experiences with DIY
23 >> > water cooled video cards and your happiness with
24 >> > such endeavors is of keen interest to me, regardless
25 >> > of the type of video card.
26 >>
27 >> It's not ATI or water cooled, but I got a GeForce 9600 with a giant
28 >> aftermarket heat sink preinstalled
29 >> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134050),
30 >> totally passive fanless and silent, for under $100 at the time I
31 >> bought it. I get steady 200fps at 1600x1200 in Sauerbraten, and FIFA
32 >> 09 plays nice and smooth in wine. Temperature readings have been
33 >> consistently low. I don't think water cooling is necessary if you're
34 >> not doing anything special to torture the card (unless you just want
35 >> to do it just for the fun of doing it, of course). I've gone the
36 >> fanless, heat sink route on 2 systems now and have had no problems at
37 >> all after having 2 video card fans die after less than 1 year each of
38 >> use.
39 >
40 > passive is nice - but you need good air movement throughout the case - or
41 > everything will warm uo a lot. So passive cooled card does not solve the noise
42 > problem - it just moves it to the case ventilation.
43
44 That's true, he only specifically asked about video card noise and
45 that's all I considered, I didn't even think about the case. I have a
46 gigantic case with numerous intake & ventilating fans and a nice warm
47 breeze blowing out of the back of it :) But, it's still quieter than
48 it was with the added noise of one extra fan. If he wants a totally
49 fanless system then obviously there is more to worry about.