From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI video card with water cooler
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:56:40
1 On Donnerstag 11 Dezember 2008, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > Hello,
4 > >
5 > > I've been looking for an ATI graphics card
6 > > with a water cooling system built in. I'm very
7 > > tired of listen to the roar of a video card fan.
8 > >
9 > > Any suggestions? It does not need to be the latest
10 > > smokin card, just reasonable at video games
11 > > and quite as can be. R580 engine or above.
12 > > Low dB is the primary concern, but it must be decent at video
13 > > games. (PCI express 16) is the slot it must fit into.
14 > >
15 > > I prefer ATI over nvidia.
16 > >
17 > > After days of googling and nothing attractive
18 > > (sub 200 USD) and pre assembled, I'm more open
19 > > to the cost effectiveness of DIY. Any suggestions
20 > > are most appreciated. Your experiences with DIY
21 > > water cooled video cards and your happiness with
22 > > such endeavors is of keen interest to me, regardless
23 > > of the type of video card.
24 >
25 > It's not ATI or water cooled, but I got a GeForce 9600 with a giant
26 > aftermarket heat sink preinstalled
27 > (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134050),
28 > totally passive fanless and silent, for under $100 at the time I
29 > bought it. I get steady 200fps at 1600x1200 in Sauerbraten, and FIFA
30 > 09 plays nice and smooth in wine. Temperature readings have been
31 > consistently low. I don't think water cooling is necessary if you're
32 > not doing anything special to torture the card (unless you just want
33 > to do it just for the fun of doing it, of course). I've gone the
34 > fanless, heat sink route on 2 systems now and have had no problems at
35 > all after having 2 video card fans die after less than 1 year each of
36 > use.
37
38 passive is nice - but you need good air movement throughout the case - or
39 everything will warm uo a lot. So passive cooled card does not solve the noise
40 problem - it just moves it to the case ventilation.