From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ATI video card with water cooler
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 20:09:25
1 On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:10 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I've been looking for an ATI graphics card
5 > with a water cooling system built in. I'm very
6 > tired of listen to the roar of a video card fan.
7 >
8 > Any suggestions? It does not need to be the latest
9 > smokin card, just reasonable at video games
10 > and quite as can be. R580 engine or above.
11 > Low dB is the primary concern, but it must be decent at video
12 > games. (PCI express 16) is the slot it must fit into.
13 >
14 > I prefer ATI over nvidia.
15 >
16 > After days of googling and nothing attractive
17 > (sub 200 USD) and pre assembled, I'm more open
18 > to the cost effectiveness of DIY. Any suggestions
19 > are most appreciated. Your experiences with DIY
20 > water cooled video cards and your happiness with
21 > such endeavors is of keen interest to me, regardless
22 > of the type of video card.
23
24 It's not ATI or water cooled, but I got a GeForce 9600 with a giant
25 aftermarket heat sink preinstalled
26 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134050),
27 totally passive fanless and silent, for under $100 at the time I
28 bought it. I get steady 200fps at 1600x1200 in Sauerbraten, and FIFA
29 09 plays nice and smooth in wine. Temperature readings have been
30 consistently low. I don't think water cooling is necessary if you're
31 not doing anything special to torture the card (unless you just want
32 to do it just for the fun of doing it, of course). I've gone the
33 fanless, heat sink route on 2 systems now and have had no problems at
34 all after having 2 video card fans die after less than 1 year each of
35 use.