From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ATI video card with water cooler
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:51:22
1 Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > It's not ATI or water cooled, but I got a GeForce 9600 with a giant
5 > aftermarket heat sink preinstalled
6 > (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134050),
7 > totally passive fanless and silent, for under $100 at the time I
8 > bought it. I get steady 200fps at 1600x1200 in Sauerbraten, and FIFA
9 > 09 plays nice and smooth in wine. Temperature readings have been
10 > consistently low. I don't think water cooling is necessary if you're
11 > not doing anything special to torture the card (unless you just want
12 > to do it just for the fun of doing it, of course). I've gone the
13 > fanless, heat sink route on 2 systems now and have had no problems at
14 > all after having 2 video card fans die after less than 1 year each of
15 > use.
18 Hmmm,
19
20 This sounds very interesting. I'm not ready to pony up the hundreds of
21 dollars for retail water cooling systems. So I think now I'm going
22 your route on passive video card cooling to get a reasonable priced
23 'second-tier' gaming system under gentoo. Beside my target system
24 is only and AMD 4600, but, it has a fan over the CPU, with a schroud
25 that directly exhaused the hot cpu air, directly out the side of the
26 case. Very quite and I got it on a closeout from tiger direct. I do
27 not mind a little noise, just not the high pitch squealing of a fan
28 on a video card.......
29
30 Any techniques, available in Gentoo, to monitor the temperature
31 of and of the new video cards?
34 This newegg pages shows this About the GeForce 9600:
35
36 Ports
37 HDMI 1 via Adapter
38 DVI 2
39 TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out
40
41 Did your card come with the DVI-to-HDMI adapter?
42 So do you know anything about getting HDMI out of the the video card?
43 What does the "Adapter" look like? HDMI has software based negotiation
44 protocol, so theoretically, you do not have to do all of the gymnastics
45 with xorg.conf to get the highest and best resolution, when you plug
46 the video card into a large screen HDMI equipped LCD monitor/TV
47 that has HDMI inputs. Does the GeForce 9600 auto-negotiate over HDMI?
48
49 Has anyone experimented with a Gentoo system auto-negotiating resolution
50 from a video card with HDMI output to a LCD TV with HDMI?
53 curiously,
54 James