From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ATI video card with water cooler
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 17:46:50
1 On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 8:50 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 >> It's not ATI or water cooled, but I got a GeForce 9600 with a giant
6 >> aftermarket heat sink preinstalled
7 >> (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134050),
8 >> totally passive fanless and silent, for under $100 at the time I
9 >> bought it. I get steady 200fps at 1600x1200 in Sauerbraten, and FIFA
10 >> 09 plays nice and smooth in wine. Temperature readings have been
11 >> consistently low. I don't think water cooling is necessary if you're
12 >> not doing anything special to torture the card (unless you just want
13 >> to do it just for the fun of doing it, of course). I've gone the
14 >> fanless, heat sink route on 2 systems now and have had no problems at
15 >> all after having 2 video card fans die after less than 1 year each of
16 >> use.
19 > Hmmm,
20 >
21 > This sounds very interesting. I'm not ready to pony up the hundreds of
22 > dollars for retail water cooling systems. So I think now I'm going
23 > your route on passive video card cooling to get a reasonable priced
24 > 'second-tier' gaming system under gentoo. Beside my target system
25 > is only and AMD 4600, but, it has a fan over the CPU, with a schroud
26 > that directly exhaused the hot cpu air, directly out the side of the
27 > case. Very quite and I got it on a closeout from tiger direct. I do
28 > not mind a little noise, just not the high pitch squealing of a fan
29 > on a video card.......
30 >
31 > Any techniques, available in Gentoo, to monitor the temperature
32 > of and of the new video cards?
35 > This newegg pages shows this About the GeForce 9600:
36 >
37 > Ports
38 > HDMI 1 via Adapter
39 > DVI 2
40 > TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out
41 >
42 > Did your card come with the DVI-to-HDMI adapter?
43 > So do you know anything about getting HDMI out of the the video card?
44 > What does the "Adapter" look like? HDMI has software based negotiation
45 > protocol, so theoretically, you do not have to do all of the gymnastics
46 > with xorg.conf to get the highest and best resolution, when you plug
47 > the video card into a large screen HDMI equipped LCD monitor/TV
48 > that has HDMI inputs. Does the GeForce 9600 auto-negotiate over HDMI?
49
50 Hi,
51
52 I've never tried the HDMI, so I can't say how it behaves, but yeah it
53 came with a DVI to HDMI dongle thing. As far as I know the video
54 signal in HDMI and DVI are identical, and that HDMI is basically like
55 "DVI with sound". I could be wrong about that though.
56
57 One thing to beware of with this particular card is that it is HUGE,
58 both in length and the big Arctic Cooling heat sink causes it to be
59 very tall. I have an enormous thermaltake armour case and it was still
60 a tight squeeze. If your case is less than 9 inches wide I don't know
61 if it would fit.