From: "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MacBook: How many hours on battery with Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:42:14
1 Ritesh Kumar ha scritto:
2 > On Feb 19, 2008 12:09 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net>
3 > wrote:
6 > On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 11:28 +0100, b.n. wrote:
7 > > Lowe Schmidt ha scritto:
8 > > > Hi.
9 > > >
10 > > > I'm planning on buying myself a MacBook and I'm just wondering
11 > if anyone
12 > > > knows how many hours I will get out of it if I run Gentoo. I
13 > mainly use
14 > > > a bunch
15 > > > of terminals, gvim and some lightweigth gtk app so nothing heavy
16 > going on.
17 > > >
18 > > > All input appreciated
19 > >
20 > > My Macbook Pro with light, normal usage lasts about three hours (OS X
21 > > lasts at least one hour more).
22 > >
23 > > m.
24 >
25 > Have you found any reason for this discrepancy? I'd suspect them to be
26 > on par with the right tuning.
29 > Are you doing any kind of CPU frequency scaling? In the kernel (I use
30 > gentoo sources) configuration enable
31
32 Yes, I do frequency scaling (the ondemand governor is used when the
33 laptop is unplugged). I also use laptop-mode for the hd and pommed to
34 tune screen brightness.
35
36 I think the problems are the wireless and the video drivers. The new
37 Macbook Pro wireless drivers (I bought my machine in late October 2007,
38 just when Leopard came out -although, well, I found myself almost never
39 using it) required SVN version of madwifi (dunno if now the stable
40 version works, will check when upgrading kernel), and so far attempting
41 to set power saving on my wireless card fails.
42
43 The Macbook Pro also has a nvidia video card. The nvidia drivers work
44 quite well (apart from some issues with external dvi resolution), but as
45 far as I know, on it the "Powermizer" feature is somehow disabled. :(
46
47 I guess both things combined can explain at least a significant quantity
48 of the power drain. Suggestions are much welcome, I hate the reduced
49 battery power.
50
51 m.
52 --