From: Ritesh Kumar <ritesh@××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MacBook: How many hours on battery with Gentoo?
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:52:17
1 On Feb 19, 2008 12:09 PM, Florian Philipp <lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net>
2 wrote:
5 > On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 11:28 +0100, b.n. wrote:
6 > > Lowe Schmidt ha scritto:
7 > > > Hi.
8 > > >
9 > > > I'm planning on buying myself a MacBook and I'm just wondering if
10 > anyone
11 > > > knows how many hours I will get out of it if I run Gentoo. I mainly
12 > use
13 > > > a bunch
14 > > > of terminals, gvim and some lightweigth gtk app so nothing heavy going
15 > on.
16 > > >
17 > > > All input appreciated
18 > >
19 > > My Macbook Pro with light, normal usage lasts about three hours (OS X
20 > > lasts at least one hour more).
21 > >
22 > > m.
23 >
24 > Have you found any reason for this discrepancy? I'd suspect them to be
25 > on par with the right tuning.
28 Are you doing any kind of CPU frequency scaling? In the kernel (I use gentoo
29 sources) configuration enable
30
31 Power Management
32 - CPU frequency scaling
33 - performance (is selected as default)
34 - ondemand governor
35 - conservative
36 - ACPI Processor P-States driver
37 - Intel Enhanced SpeedStep
38
39 This enables frequency scaling... this works for my Core2 desktop so I
40 suspect it should work for the mac book too.
41
42 To select the actual cpu scaling governor to use, you can do the following
43 (as root)
44
45 echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu(n)/cpufreq/scaling_governor
46
47 where you need to this for all the cores... for my Core 2 desktop I have
48 cpu0 and cpu1.
49 You can select between ondemand, conservative and performance. Try both
50 ondemand and conservative... My guess is there will be little difference in
51 power consumption between the two and ondemand may be better for response
52 time sensitive loads (typical desktop usage).
53
54 I keep the above command in /etc/conf.d/local.start so that I get the CPU
55 freq scaling goodness on every boot :)
56
57 # /etc/conf.d/local.start
58
59 # This is a good place to load any misc programs
60 # on startup (use &>/dev/null to hide output)
61
62 gov=ondemand
63
64 echo "Switching to the '$gov' cpu frequency scaling governer."
65 echo $gov > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
66 echo $gov > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor
67
68 _r