From: "Mariusz Pękala" <skoot@××.pl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 16:51:04
1 On 2006-02-25 23:16:36 -0600 (Sat, Feb), Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > > > So, it's based on the collective opinion of the gentoo developers?
3 > > > Wouldn't it be better to put that in the hands of the gentoo user?
4 > >
5 > > IMHO it already is. It's called PORTAGE_OVERLAY.
6 >
7 > Again, hard to do automatically. Wheras, if I could just set
8 > ACCEPT_UPSTREAM="BETA" I'd get all the betas. Or I could use
9 > package.upstream and but in "kde-extra/kaffeine ALPHA" and get anything
10 > assigned more than a snapshot number for that package. (Instead of
11 > manually checking after each sync to see if there's a new, masked
12 > version.)
13
14 In 'man 5 ebuild' I see:
15
16 Atom Versions
17 It is nice to be more specific and say that only certain versions of atoms
18 are acceptable. Note that versions must be combined with a prefix (see below).
19 Hence you may add a version number as a postfix to the base:
20
21 sys-apps/sed-4.0.5
22 sys-libs/zlib-1.1.4-r1
23 net-misc/dhcp-3.0_p2
24
25 Versions are normally made up of two or three numbers separated by periods,
26 such as 1.2 or 4.5.2. This string may be followed by a character such as 1.2a
27 or 4.5.2z. Note that this letter is not meant to indicate alpha, beta,
28 etc... status. For that, use the optional suffix; either _alpha, _beta, _pre
29 (pre-release), _rc (release candidate), or _p (patch). This means for the 3rd
30 pre-release of a package, you would use something like 1.2_pre3.
31
32 I suppose that you could prepare a script that builds your
33 /etc/portage files to unmask packages with _beta versions,
34 or with any other criteria contained in ebuild.
37 No virus found in this outgoing message.
38 Checked by "grep -i virus $MESSAGE"
39 Trust me.