From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel 3.2->3.5 upgrade unusable: keyboard borked
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 21:10:44
1 On 2012-12-02, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 12:05 PM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2012-12-02, covici@××××××××××.com <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 ><SNIP>
6 >>> I think numlock is on by default in newer kernels
7 >>
8 >> That pretty much sucks. Is that configurable sowewhere?
11 > This is not my experience. I'm using 3.5.* everywhere and haven't had
12 > this problem on any machine to date. numlock is off by default on all
13 > machines as best I can tell.
14
15 Armed with the clue that the change happened at 3.4 rather than 3.5, I
16 found the thread in the kernel dev list where it was discussed.
17 Before 3.4, numlock defaulted to off. Starting in 3.4, numlock
18 defaults to whatever the BIOS configuration is. I change the numlock
19 setting in my BIOS (didn't know it had one), and everything's cool.
20
21 > /etc/init.d/numlock on/off will change the state of the lights on my
22 > keyboard. Have you tried that?
23
24 On my system it's start/stop rather than on/off. You can also just use
25 the setleds utility directly, but either is hard to do,
26
27 keyboard doesn't allow you to enter the letters u,i,o,p,j,k,l,m :)
28
29 > I didn't know that OpenRC had added numlock control but it's there
30 > and documented in a Gentoo Wiki.
31
32 OK, I understand how to enable numlock for various run states, but
33 just for curiousity's sake, how do you get the script called with the
34 "stop" paramter instead of the "start" parameter during startup?
35
36 Do other people's "numlock" keys still work with 3.4 and 3.5 kernels?
37
38 When running 3.5, my "numlock" key functions as a shift lock.
41 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I have many CHARTS
42 at and DIAGRAMS..
43 gmail.com