From: Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo failed to start
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 01:59:01
1 Hi Jarry and folks,
2
3 Tks for your advice.
4
5 Booting with a LiveCD:
6 My problem booting with Knoppix5 is it does not support LVM, vgscan,
7 vgchange, etc. not available. I can only boot with "Gentoo
8 install-amd64-minimal-2006.0"
9
10 After activating lv, mounting all devices, etc., coming to;
11 # mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
12 # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
13 # env-update
14 -/bin/bash:env-update:command not found.
15
16 It did happen in my previous rounds. Other command such as "emerge"
17 also found missing compelling me to wipe out the HD and to start again.
18 Any suggestion. TIA
21 Another problem I forgot to mention in my previous posting is;
22 /lib/modules
23 was missing
24
25 # ls -al /lib | grep modules
26 did not find it.
29 Problem about switching consoles. After "chroot" I can't read online
30 manual. Therefore I have to press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+F2 switching to another
31 console. (I suppose the working console is [Ctrl]+[Alt]+F4). But
32 after switching back to the working console all the work disappeared.
33 It did happen occassionally but not always. Any advice? TIA.
34
35 B.R.
36 SL
39 --- Jarry <jarry@×××.net> wrote:
40
41 > Stephen Liu wrote:
42 >
43 > > * IMPORTANT: 7 config files in /etc need updating.
44 > > * Type emerge --help config to learn how to update config files.
45 > > * end *
46 > > # find /etc -iname '._cfg????_*'
47 > > No printout. Can't find the config files to be updated.
48 >
49 > Try:
50 > # find /etc -iname '._cfg*'
51 >
52 > > 2)
53 > > # grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab
54 > > -
55 > > cursor hanging there
56 >
57 > Why doing this??? You should edit fstab, not mtab...
58 >
59 > > # grub install /dev/hda
60 > > df: Warning: cannot read table of mounted filesystems
61 > > df: Warning: cannot read table of mounted filesystems
62 > > Could not find device for /boot: Not found or not a block device.
63 >
64 > No wonder, see previous remark...
65 >
66 > > 4)
67 > > # cat /etc/fstab
68 >
69 > That is just example which does not correspond with your layout...
70 >
71 > > On reboot only a black screen displayed. Please advise how to fix
72 > the
73 > > problem. TIA
74 >
75 > Boot livecd, mount partitions, correct errors...
76 >
77 > hth,
78 > Jarry
79 --