From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo failed to start
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 02:29:25
1 Because it's confusing.
6 > Why shouldn't I top post?
7
8 On 8/31/06, Stephen Liu <satimis@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > After activating lv, mounting all devices, etc., coming to;
10 > # mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
11 > # mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
12 > # env-update
13 > -/bin/bash:env-update:command not found.
14
15 You need to chroot to /mnt/gentoo before running etc-update:
16
17 # mount -bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
18 # cd /mnt/gentoo ; chroot ./ ./bin/bash
19 # etc-update
20
21 > It did happen in my previous rounds. Other command such as "emerge"
22 > also found missing compelling me to wipe out the HD and to start again.
23
24 Also chroot needed here?
25
26 > Problem about switching consoles. After "chroot" I can't read online
27 > manual. Therefore I have to press [Ctrl]+[Alt]+F2 switching to another
28 > console. (I suppose the working console is [Ctrl]+[Alt]+F4). But
29 > after switching back to the working console all the work disappeared.
30 > It did happen occassionally but not always. Any advice? TIA.
31
32 I think you've gotten confused by which console you are working on.
33 Normally the live CD starts several consoles (6?), that are accessible
34 on Alt+F1 through Alt+F6. (The Ctrl+Alt combination is only needed
35 when switching from X to a console). So most likely, you were working
36 on tty1 (Alt+F1).
37
38 -Richard
39 --