From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Canon PowerShot A400 & Gentoo
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 08:46:52
1 Alexander Pilipovsky wrote:
2 > Thanks, Dale, after your letter I found some solution :) I unmerged
3 > libphoto and downloaded it's latest version from
4 > http://www.gphoto.org/ and images are downloading by gphoto2 and
5 > gtkam. But when I works not under root any program cannot get access
6 > to /dev/ttS0. Changing permissions to 777 for ttS0 does not take any
7 > effect. What permissions these programs need?
8 >
9 > Dale wrote:
10 >> Alexander Pilipovsky wrote:
11 >>
12 >>> Hello all!
13 >>>
14 >>> When I used Ubuntu :)), I got files from my camera by F-Spot. Now I
15 >>> compiled f-spot (http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/F-Spot), but now camera
16 >>> does not see PC and F-Spot does not see camera too. What it need for work?
17 >>>
18 >>> Thanks!
19 >>>
20 >>>
21 >>>
22 >
23 > --
24 > Alexander Pilipovsky aka Engraver
25
26 Make sure you are in the following groups and it should work. This is
27 my list:
28
29 root@smoker / # cat /etc/group | grep dale
30 tty:x:5:dale
31 lp:x:7:lp,dale
32 wheel:x:10:root,dale
33 floppy:x:11:root,haldaemon,dale
34 uucp:x:14:uucp,nut,dale
35 audio:x:18:dale
36 cdrom:x:19:dale,haldaemon
37 dialout:x:20:root,dale
38 video:x:27:root,dale
39 cdrw:x:80:haldaemon,dale
40 usb:x:85:haldaemon,dale
41 users:x:100:games,dale
42 portage:x:250:portage,dale
43 cron:x:16:dale
44 messagebus:x:440:dale
45 lpadmin:x:106:dale
46 haldaemon:x:441:haldaemon,dale
47 plugdev:x:442:haldaemon,dale
48 games:x:35:dale
49 nut:x:84:nut,dale
50 wireshark:x:444:dale
51 camera:x:450:root,dale
52 root@smoker / #
53
54 I think plugdev, camera, usb and haldaemon are the important ones. You
55 can run gtkam as root to test this theory. If it works as root, you
56 have a permissions problem for sure.
57
58 This may help too:
59
60 root@smoker / # equery list gphoto
61 [ Searching for package 'gphoto' in all categories among: ]
62 * installed packages
63 [I--] [ ] media-libs/libgphoto2-2.4.3 (0)
64 root@smoker / # equery list gtkam
65 [ Searching for package 'gtkam' in all categories among: ]
66 * installed packages
67 [I--] [ ] media-gfx/gtkam-0.1.16.1 (0)
68 root@smoker / #
69
70 I'm not sure why it is using ttS0 tho. Mine is found under /dev/bus/usb/.
71
72 A long time ago I had trouble with udev not setting permissions
73 correctly but I think that has been fixed for a good while now. I do
74 recall having to copy a file over to /etc/udev. The rule had libgphoto
75 in the name. May want to make sure it is there.
76
77 Hope that helps.
78
79 Dale