From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Disk failure - Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1289 lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 01:14:54
1 On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 13:41, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > 2010/10/9 Fatih Tümen <fthtmn+gentoo@×××××.com>:
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> When I ran eix hdf command, all of a sudden my usb drive started
7 >> making weird noises. I only have ccache, distfiles and packaes
8 >> directories on sda2, the usb disk partition. I don't know why eix
9 >> waked up the disk. Eix hung there non-responding for a moment as the
10 >> disk kept making noises, so I interrupted the task. Immediately
11 >> checked the logs[0] and umounted the device as a reflex.
12 >
13 > Hi,
14 >
15 > I recently had USB external hdd that started to make clicking noises
16 > and beeping sounds and I couldn't access it at all anymore. I thought
17 > "oh no, click of death"... but I also noticed very faint high-pitch
18 > sound coming from the power supply. I contacted the hdd manufacturer
19 > and they sent me a new power supply for free. Everything worked
20 > perfectly after replacing it.
21 >
22 > In the past, with the same drive in fact, I also had problem with the
23 > USB link dropping, which was causing disk corruption. I tried a
24 > different USB cable but same problem persisted. Who knows if this was
25 > also caused by the bad power supply, or USB hub overload on my
26 > computer. I had about 10 USB devices attached at the time. I removed
27 > some and moved around to spread the load out a bit and it worked fine
28 > after that.
29 >
30 > Since replacing the power supply, I've used the same hdd with 2 other
31 > computers and haven't have any issues so far.
34 Also had PSU problems with external drives a while ago, I asked a
35 friend to modidy a full ATX computer PSU for me so it could power two
36 drives, never had problems again (the psu that comes with those things
37 is just too cheap, tend to overheat and fail a lot).
38
39 I never use 2.5 HDD USB enclosures for constant workload with no
40 cooling at all (most cases for 2.5 drives have no cooler and rely on
41 heat transfer from an aluminum body, wich is simply unreliable).
42
43 On the other hand, I had a new, cooled 3.5 HDD fail on me after two
44 days operation. It was promptly replaced by Seagate. The dread click
45 of death... Of course I tested it on a SATA controller before calling
46 it dead.
47
48 Funny story. I had one drive that failed once (clicking) and I read
49 somewhere to "cool" it. So I put the damn thing on the refrigerator,
50 took it out after a while (it was so cold!), plugged in, and what the
51 heck, it started working again and I was able to backup all of the
52 data. After that it worked for a long time before failing again, lol.
53 Now I always "cool" a clicking drive before replacing it. True story.
56 Daniel da Veiga