From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Disk failure - Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1289 lost page write due to I/O error on sda2
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 07:42:00
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-user] USB Disk failure - Buffer I/O error on device sda2, logical block 1289 lost page write due to I/O error on sda2 by Daniel da Veiga
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 03:13 on Friday 15 October 2010, Daniel da
2 Veiga did opine thusly:
3
4 > Funny story. I had one drive that failed once (clicking) and I read
5 > somewhere to "cool" it. So I put the damn thing on the refrigerator,
6 > took it out after a while (it was so cold!), plugged in, and what the
7 > heck, it started working again and I was able to backup all of the
8 > data. After that it worked for a long time before failing again, lol.
9 > Now I always "cool" a clicking drive before replacing it. True story.
10
11 Another completely off-topic funny story:
12
13 I used to fix TVs a long time ago. Putting the TV in a freezer to find heat-
14 sensitive faults was reasonably common. Customers would think I was nuts
15 hauling a set out the freezer and sticking it on the bench....
16
17 Then they started making those gigantic sets that don't fit into freezers;
18 cold rooms maybe but not freezers. Yet another diagnostic technique that went
19 the way of the dinosaur...
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com