From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Following a well overdue world -u I have no network
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:11:27
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
2
3 > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:42:51 -0500, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 >> > first thing to know - have you updated your config files with
6 >> > etc-update or dispatch-conf?
7 >>
8 >> I used dispatch-conf, because of the archiving behaviour but I see it
9 >> doesn't really archive all of etc now.
10 >
11 > Have you enabled rcs in the config? This makes it backup the changes, so
12 > you can roll back.
13
14 No, I just used it sort of blindly and in many cases choose to `e'
15 edit the new file, where upon I'd read the old file into the new and
16 take what looked like it needed to be taken into the new file. Then
17 save exit and chose `u' (use new).
18
19 So I guess the result should have been a very manual merging. There
20 were some 128 new conf files. The vast majority I just accepted as is
21 since I'd not done any conf changes on most of them.
22
23 I was under the conception that the archiving mechanism did a backup
24 of all of etc but apparently that is not the case.
27 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list