From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Opinions on DVR/PVR backend?
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 18:43:06
1 On 2018-01-26, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 12:50 PM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I'm guessing that Android client support is going to be better with
6 >> Plex than with the others.
9 > I know nothing of TVheadend. MythTV on Android has always been kludgy
10 > at best, though I haven't touched it in two years.
11 >
12 > Plex on Android is a thing of beauty, especially with offline sync.
13
14 That's a big plus for Plex.
15
16 > For managing shows the web interface is still better than
17 > Android/Roku.
18
19 That's fine -- I prefer using a web browser for that sort of thing.
20 One of my complaints with MythTv and SageTv was that the web UIs for
21 backend configuration and recording scheduling were after-thought
22 add-on/plug-in kludges. My current SageTv setup lacks a web ui
23 completely. :/
24
25 The config/scheduling UI for TvHeadend is purely web-based.
26
27 > That's the other thing - the Plex server/clients do a good job
28 > negotiating codecs, with the server doing all the transcoding. You
29 > can pre-transcode files if you want to in order to reduce server load,
30 > such as if you have many Rokus you use at the same time.
31
32 Pre-transocoding from MPEG-2 TS to MPEG-4 h264 would be nice.
33
34 > When transcoding you do get a bit more latency, especially if you
35 > want to seek around a lot (no issue at all if you just hit play and
36 > watch the show) - you end up with bufferbloat on both the server and
37 > the client when you transcode.
38
39 When watching recorded TV shows, I do rely heavily on "jump forward
40 30s" and "jump back 5s" for manually skipping commercials.
41
42 > Still, it all just works, and it is no worse than Netflix/etc. You
43 > can also configure quality rules for LAN vs WAN streaming, both on
44 > the clients and the server.
45
46 That's cool.
47
48 One open question is handling of closed-captioning in ATSC recordings.
49 Results with Plex seem to be mixed.
50
51 I think I'll try out Plex DVR this weekend and see how it works with
52 the Roku and Android frontends.
55 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I'm definitely not
56 at in Omaha!
57 gmail.com