From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 20:03:11
1 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 8:52 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I didn't see portage or anything else give me any instructions or
6 >> warnings about this. The names just suddenly changed, and that screwed
7 >> things up.
10 > https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2013-03-29-udev-upgrade.html
11 >
12 > This shows up in eselect news list (and so on), and portage will tell
13
14 I never use that because I find it very awkward. Why doesn't portage
15 just send me the news by email?
16
17 > you when you have unread news items. Note that it only shows up if
18 > you have <udev-201 installed, but all news is in that repository.
19 >
20 > Generally you want to read those BEFORE you go installing packages,
21 > since it may pertain to a package you're about to update.
22
23 Updating usually affects over 200 packages. What's a good way to read
24 the news in advance?
27 > The original news item was less detailed, and IMO probably a bit
28 > easier to read. Additional stuff was added to it later from the looks
29 > of it. It isn't hard to read per-se, but there is a lot more going on
30 > in it.
31 >
32 > If you want to disable predictable network names then that is covered in #4.