From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 21:23:23
1 On 26/12/2016 20:24, lee wrote:
2 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
3 >
4 >> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 8:52 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> I didn't see portage or anything else give me any instructions or
7 >>> warnings about this. The names just suddenly changed, and that screwed
8 >>> things up.
9 >>>
10 >>
11 >> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2013-03-29-udev-upgrade.html
12 >>
13 >> This shows up in eselect news list (and so on), and portage will tell
14 >
15 > I never use that because I find it very awkward. Why doesn't portage
16 > just send me the news by email?
17
18 It will if you set it up that way. It's not a default because portage
19 doesn't know your email address (unless you want to deliver mail locally
20 to root's mbox)
21
22 >> you when you have unread news items. Note that it only shows up if
23 >> you have <udev-201 installed, but all news is in that repository.
24 >>
25 >> Generally you want to read those BEFORE you go installing packages,
26 >> since it may pertain to a package you're about to update.
27 >
28 > Updating usually affects over 200 packages. What's a good way to read
29 > the news in advance?
30
31 I think you are conflating news with something else, perhaps elogs. Rich
32 means to run "eselect news list".
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com