From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] from Firefox52: NO pure ALSA?, WAS: Firefox 49.0 & Youtube... Audio: No
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 23:57:40
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 26/12/2016 20:24, lee wrote:
4 >> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 8:52 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I didn't see portage or anything else give me any instructions or
9 >>>> warnings about this. The names just suddenly changed, and that screwed
10 >>>> things up.
11 >>>>
12 >>>
13 >>> https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2013-03-29-udev-upgrade.html
14 >>>
15 >>> This shows up in eselect news list (and so on), and portage will tell
16 >>
17 >> I never use that because I find it very awkward. Why doesn't portage
18 >> just send me the news by email?
19 >
20 > It will if you set it up that way.
21
22 Oh I should do that then.
23
24 > It's not a default because portage
25 > doesn't know your email address (unless you want to deliver mail locally
26 > to root's mbox)
27
28 It could simply ask me. Now I need to figure out how to make it send
29 mails.
30
31 >>> you when you have unread news items. Note that it only shows up if
32 >>> you have <udev-201 installed, but all news is in that repository.
33 >>>
34 >>> Generally you want to read those BEFORE you go installing packages,
35 >>> since it may pertain to a package you're about to update.
36 >>
37 >> Updating usually affects over 200 packages. What's a good way to read
38 >> the news in advance?
39 >
40 > I think you are conflating news with something else, perhaps elogs. Rich
41 > means to run "eselect news list".
42
43 Yes, and that doesn't show me news before I sync, or does it?