From: Sam Bishop <sam@××××××.email>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: automated code validation
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 06:44:08
1 On 8 December 2014 at 08:54, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 5:42 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 >>> > liveUSB, where folks can download "Gentoo Fever" onto a usb stick and stick
5 >>> > into their current hardware and boot up a killer code development system.
6 >>>
7 >>> Building a liveUSB version of Gentoo is almost completely orthagonal
8 >>> to building an automatic ebuild testing system.
9 >>
10 >> Agreed from where you sit. Where I sit, when I explain to folks about
11 >> this project, a liveUSB stick running the latest in what gentoo-fever
12 >> is, speaks volumes to encourage non-gentoo folks to take it for a test
13 >> drive.
14 >
15 > I didn't say it was a bad idea. I just said that it had nothing to do
16 > with Continuous Integration (CI).
17 >
18 > If a billion people used Gentoo for 8 hours a day straight, that would
19 > also have nothing to do with CI.
22 >>>
23 >>> A Gentoo CI system doesn't even have to be hosted on Gentoo, or on
24 >>> Linux for that matter. Of course, if one were ever to become official
25 >>> it most likely would be hosted on Gentoo, but most likely not on a box
26 >>> booted from a USB.
27 >>
28 >> Um, I never saw "CI" defined, so please define specifically, then
29 >> use the abbrev?
32 > Continuous Integration is probably being used a bit loosely here. The
33 > concept is testing every commit to ensure a level of quality. Commits
34 > wouldn't directly hit users - they would be tested first (perhaps in
35 > batches), and then would only hit users if they pass. Or something
36 > along those lines. Maybe it would just refer to frequently testing
37 > the tree with automated bug reporting.
38 >
39 > None of this has to do with having a USB live distro.
42 Well the same kind of minimal core is useful/needed as the 'base' from which
43 ebuild test runs can be done on top of. So its not a completely
44 orthogonal problem.
47 >>> I'm not saying that a liveUSB version of Gentoo wouldn't be nice to
48 >>> have. It just has nothing to do with solving this particular problem.
49 >>
50 >> OK, see above; you are right technically. Do you want a few dozen
51 >> participates or a few thousand?
52 >
53 > I want ZERO participants. That's the whole point. It is supposed to
54 > be automated.
55 >
56 > Sure, somebody has to write the code, but I doubt handing out liveUSB
57 > images is going to inspire that.
58 >
59 > Also, if your main goal was to have a quick easy-to-use Linux desktop,
60 > I'm not quite sure why you'd pick Gentoo in particular to base it on.
61 > The whole point of Gentoo is that you can change it, while a liveUSB
62 > tends to imply something static and standardized.
63 >
64 > Heck, they could use ChromeOS as it is a Gentoo derivative. However,
65 > if you want something in-between Sabayon is probably about right. :)
68 Gentoo is actually capable of everything that draws people to Arch Linux.
69 The only reason anyone ever gives me for using Arch Linux is the
70 AUR which is pretty much 'portage plus layman for dummies'. So Gentoo
71 does have the ability to give people what they want, we just have no way
72 to support that kind of use case at present.
73
74 I agree a live USB image wont really 'inspire' anything. But it does represent
75 a useful goal. The same infrastructure that tests ebuilds would be able
76 to generate boot-able images. You may not have been far off the mark
77 with ChromeOS, I think it may be possible to use those tools to build an
78 image without much fuss at all. I would need to remove a fair number of
79 ChromeOS and CoreOS parts from the setup I currently have but it should
80 in theory work fairly easily. But other than improving the process of building
81 a base image, it doesn't really get us anywhere closer to the goal of
82 automation and CI.
83
84 Rich, you mentioned zero participants and your right on the money, which
85 is why I'm still wondering where people want to collaborate on this effort.
86 Working code and projects is nice but having things spread over several
87 projects doesn't help keep things easy to manage or deal with discussions
88 about how we integrate things together. For instance at some point this
89 should integrate into the ebuild arch unstable masking for all of Gentoo
90 and then things get 'political'.