From: Alec Ten Harmsel <alec@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Surviving perl-5.24.0
Date: Sat, 21 May 2016 10:50:13
1 On 2016-05-20 19:33, walt wrote:
2 > I spent most of today updating from perl-5.22 to perl-5.24 because so
3 > many packages failed to install. I ran perl-cleaner about a hundred
4 > times and tried emerge -ac in between, which always failed because it
5 > falsely accused me of not doing emerge -auND.
6 >
7 > Finally I got through the perl update and noticed a message saying
8 > 'emerge -auND --with-bdeps=y is the ultimate way to update...' so I
9 > added the '--with-bdeps=y' and another twenty perl-related packages got
10 > rebuilt after I thought I was done.
11 >
12 > Now I'm really done, I think, but I'm afraid to reboot this machine.
13
14 What could possibly go wrong ;)? How important of a machine is this? I
15 usually only get worried when rebooting after a kernel upgrade on
16 headless machines, but that's just me.
17
18 If you have console access to the machine, I think it should be able to
19 at least boot without perl, so I'd say go for it.
20
21 Alec