From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: congruant gentoo servers
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 19:16:01
1 On Friday 27 June 2008, James wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > Is the new (minimal) system a strict sub-set of the old (bloated
4 > > one)? As in, could you add to the minimal config a bunch of USE
5 > > flags (that would not change the overall behaviour of what is
6 > > already there), emerge a lot of new packages, and basically arrive
7 > > at what you have on the bloated machine?
8 >
9 > No,
10 >
11 > Years ago they were similar. Then the minimal system lost a hard
12 > drive and I reinstalled it, as a minimal gentoo server. The bloated
13 > one has been a workstation and had all sorts of gui/kde stuffage
14 > installed on it.
15
16 I had a somewhat similar setup between a desktop machine at home (never
17 connected to the internet) and my notebook. I went for the simplest
18 possible solution:
19
20 emerge -pvfuND world on desktop, get a list of sources to download
21 download those sources onto notebook next day at work
22 nfs mount the portage and distfiles dirs from notebook to desktop
23 rsync portage dir
24 prepended nfs mounted distfiles to GENTOO_MIRRORS
25 emerge -avuND world
26
27 True, it needed a fair amount of manual intervention and sometimes I
28 would miss a source file that needed to be downloaded, so the process
29 would take a day longer, but this was far easier to do once a month
30 than concoct some other automated solution
34 Alan McKinnon
35 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
38 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list