From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 10:49:58
1 On Monday, 5 August 2019 02:26:11 BST Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 8/4/19 12:03 PM, Mick wrote:
3 > > I don't know more about this, but it seems we are being dragged towards
4 > > a systemd inspired future, whether the majority of the gentoo community
5 > > of users want it or not.
6 >
7 > How is the /usr merger /directly/ related to systemd?
8
9 It is being /assertively/ promoted persistently by the same devs.
12 > > In my view system binaries should not be thrown in the same pot as user
13 > > binaries and keeping the two separate makes good sense for those of us
14 > > who do not spin up 200 cloned VMs a second on a RHL corporate farm.
15 >
16 > What are you using to differentiate system binaries and user binaries?
17 > Are you using the /usr directory? Or the bin vs sbin directories?
18 >
19 > Please elaborate on your working understanding. I ask because I want
20 > correctly understand you and speak to what you're talking about.
21 > Especially considering that there will still be the bin vs sbin directories.
22
23 Sure, but for how much longer? You need to check the direction of travel here
24 and how long before a particular dev priesthood which imposes initrd, systemd
25 and a single partition image, or whatever suits their mass market use cases
26 agenda, foists their choice upon *all* users.
27
28 I think following the lib directories merge, the discussion is now about
29 merging:
30
31 /bin -> usr/bin
32 /sbin -> usr/bin
33 /usr/sbin -> bin
36 Since you asked this is my understanding, which may need correction by more
37 learned contributors, because some of this has happened well before I sat in
38 front of a keyboard. Back in late 60s, early 70s, disks became larger as UNIX
39 was getting bigger. This initially led to /bin and /sbin split across
40 different physical devices and soon the same happened for /home, et al.
41
42 This historical fact of UNIX evolution to use multiple and subsequently larger
43 storage devices is being conflated with the purpose of these directories, what
44 they were created for back then and what their use should be today. The
45 passage of time has introduced shared libs, which necessitate certain
46 directories being on the same fs. Back then everything was statically linked
47 so fs could be more independent.
48
49 Whether the *initial* directory split across different fs was introduced
50 because UNIX had put on weight and disks became larger is of secondary
51 importance IMHO. As a user I tend to focus on the current usefulness of
52 different *choices* and understand it is preferable to retain them
53 architecturally as choices to also suit other users' preferences and use
54 cases. I'm talking about an acceptance of Linux and Gentoo in particular as a
55 meta-distribution being created for the benefit of a community of users which
56 is wider than my single interests and needs, but also wider than individual
57 developers agendas and preferences. That said devs are of course free to
58 develop what they like, want and prefer, but if they cannot/will not serve the
59 wider needs of the project and its community, then it may suit them to look
60 for a new project.
61
62 As the world moved on and Linux was created, the split fs concept grew legs
63 and different distros made their own choices how different directories/fs were
64 created and their permanence between reboots, e.g. /tmp, /var/tmp, /usr/tmp
65 etc. This created the known Linux fs architecture variability which could
66 well suited the particular distro communities who introduced it, but I
67 understand why it would not suit cookie-cutter thin provisioned VM images.
68
69 This brings my understanding to today's purpose of having different /bin, /
70 sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin directories as per FHS:
71
72 /bin should contain binaries that need to be available in single user mode for
73 all users, like ls, cp, cat.
74
75 /sbin is for system binaries, like fsck, route, init, halt.
76
77 /usr/bin is for non-essential binaries for all users, your everyday desktop
78 applications.
79
80 /usr/sbin is for non-essential system binaries like daemons, network
81 utilities, some fs utilities.
82
83 The above FHS logic questions why you would need /usr to be mounted in order
84 to boot the OS, or why using an initrd to achieve it is what we should be
85 doing in gentoo a meta-distribution, just because all binary distros do so.
88 > > I'm not arguing against systemd, or merging all directories under an
89 > > equivalent of a $WINDOWS/ path, but it seems to me a gentoo system
90 > > architecture should retain the freedom of choice and flexibility it
91 > > has been famous for.
92 >
93 > I agree that the user choice is *EXTREMELY* *IMPORTANT*!
94
95 Yes, this is what *community* projects are constitutionally put together for.
96 Otherwise we all have our own pet projects, but (I hope) we don't try to foist
97 them on our friends and neighbors.
100 > > Retrograde steps like being forced to use an initramfs just for
101 > > retaining a separate /usr partition, should not be the way gentoo
102 > > evolves.
103 >
104 > Agreed.
105 >
106 > I am curious why /you/ want (the ability to have) a separate /usr file
107 > system. I know that I want to retain the ability. That being said,
108 > I've not needed it in quite a while.
109
110 For the good reasons presented above as per FHS I want to retain the ability
111 of a separate /usr and I would much prefer it as it was before on its own
112 partition and without an initrd. The /usr fs can be mounted as read only for
113 an additional layer of security. I used to have /usr on a separate partition,
114 but since initrd became a necessity to keep /usr separate I moved it under /.
115 I have used initrds over the years and some of my binary systems have it by
116 design, but it is not a design choice I want to adopt. I would still prefer /
117 usr being on its own partition and without an initrd whether I use it today or
118 not. I mean, if I want to use initrd, systemd, binary log files and whatever
119 else, there are a tonne of binary distros out there to choose from. The
120 *main* reason I use Gentoo is because of the user choice and flexibility it
121 offers, something binary distros cannot provide.
124 > I am also using a bit of a hack that I think could be (re)used to allow
125 > /usr being a separate file system without /requiring/ an initramfs /
126 > initrd. (I'll reply in another email with details to avoid polluting
127 > this thread.)
128 >
129 > > Setting up a USE flag to accommodate such changes would be more
130 > > agreeable for many gentoo users, rather than changing the default
131 > > set up.
132 >
133 > Please forgive my ignorance. What was the default before 'split-user'
134 > was made global? I assume that 'split-user' wasn't a default. So, by
135 > my limited understanding, 1) it was / still is a USE flag and 2) has
136 > chosen the more historically compatible as the new default.
137
138 I don't know when it kicked in, because I don't follow the dev mailing list,
139 but I assume it became necessary when the drive to align with RHL design
140 principles started being implemented?
141
142 https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/split-usr
145 > > NOTE: Please do not start a flamewar, I'm just expressing my opinion
146 > > as a long term gentoo user who prefers to use gentoo for personal
147 > > computing, instead of other binary systemd based distros.
148 >
149 > I'm not taking this as a flame. I'm taking it as an honest and open
150 > discussion to learn what others are doing / thinking.
151 >
152 > For the record, I'm largely okay with /bin being a sym-link to /usr/bin.
153 > However I do want /sbin to remain local to the root file system. I've
154 > supported multiple installs where /usr was a separate file system and
155 > needed the minimal system (not an initramfs nor an initrd) to fix things
156 > at times. I'm also quite happy without an initramfs / initrd.
157
158 I'd rather keep things as they have been/were until and unless the usefulness
159 of a change weighs heavier than keeping them the same and the community at
160 large agrees with it after being presented with the factual arguments for and
161 against. By all means let's merge /bin into /usr/bin, but not if the caveat
162 is we now *must* have an initrd to be able to boot and the only reason to
163 change is so that gentoo becomes aligned with the systemd project. Let's
164 review any changes on their merits *before* they are implemented.
167 Regards,
168
169 Mick