From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 01:26:33
1 On 8/4/19 12:03 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > I don't know more about this, but it seems we are being dragged towards
3 > a systemd inspired future, whether the majority of the gentoo community
4 > of users want it or not.
5
6 How is the /usr merger /directly/ related to systemd?
7
8 > In my view system binaries should not be thrown in the same pot as user
9 > binaries and keeping the two separate makes good sense for those of us
10 > who do not spin up 200 cloned VMs a second on a RHL corporate farm.
11
12 What are you using to differentiate system binaries and user binaries?
13 Are you using the /usr directory? Or the bin vs sbin directories?
14
15 Please elaborate on your working understanding. I ask because I want
16 correctly understand you and speak to what you're talking about.
17 Especially considering that there will still be the bin vs sbin directories.
18
19 > I'm not arguing against systemd, or merging all directories under an
20 > equivalent of a $WINDOWS/ path, but it seems to me a gentoo system
21 > architecture should retain the freedom of choice and flexibility it
22 > has been famous for.
23
24 I agree that the user choice is *EXTREMELY* *IMPORTANT*!
25
26 > Retrograde steps like being forced to use an initramfs just for
27 > retaining a separate /usr partition, should not be the way gentoo
28 > evolves.
29
30 Agreed.
31
32 I am curious why /you/ want (the ability to have) a separate /usr file
33 system. I know that I want to retain the ability. That being said,
34 I've not needed it in quite a while.
35
36 I am also using a bit of a hack that I think could be (re)used to allow
37 /usr being a separate file system without /requiring/ an initramfs /
38 initrd. (I'll reply in another email with details to avoid polluting
39 this thread.)
40
41 > Setting up a USE flag to accommodate such changes would be more
42 > agreeable for many gentoo users, rather than changing the default
43 > set up.
44
45 Please forgive my ignorance. What was the default before 'split-user'
46 was made global? I assume that 'split-user' wasn't a default. So, by
47 my limited understanding, 1) it was / still is a USE flag and 2) has
48 chosen the more historically compatible as the new default.
49
50 > NOTE: Please do not start a flamewar, I'm just expressing my opinion
51 > as a long term gentoo user who prefers to use gentoo for personal
52 > computing, instead of other binary systemd based distros.
53
54 I'm not taking this as a flame. I'm taking it as an honest and open
55 discussion to learn what others are doing / thinking.
56
57 For the record, I'm largely okay with /bin being a sym-link to /usr/bin.
58 However I do want /sbin to remain local to the root file system. I've
59 supported multiple installs where /usr was a separate file system and
60 needed the minimal system (not an initramfs nor an initrd) to fix things
61 at times. I'm also quite happy without an initramfs / initrd.
66 Grant. . . .
67 unix || die