From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flag 'split-usr' is now global
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2019 18:04:08
1 On Sunday, 4 August 2019 18:07:41 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2019-08-04 12:29, Mick wrote:
3 > > https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge/
4 > >
5 > > Essentially the historical reasons for having a lot of separate
6 > > directories/ fs/partitions/disks are becoming obsolete and many of
7 > > them are due to merge, changing the baselayout. I assume the move to
8 > > profile 17.1 to deal with the various /lib directories was the start.
9 >
10 > I know about the history as it relates to Unix and Linux in general. In
11 > fact I think I've read that article long ago. But the question is
12 > what's up in gentoo. I suspect another potentially painful migration is
13 > on the horizon; it would be good to know the speed we're moving toward
14 > the horizon :-)
15
16 I don't know more about this, but it seems we are being dragged towards a
17 systemd inspired future, whether the majority of the gentoo community of users
18 want it or not. In my view system binaries should not be thrown in the same
19 pot as user binaries and keeping the two separate makes good sense for those
20 of us who do not spin up 200 cloned VMs a second on a RHL corporate farm. I'm
21 not arguing against systemd, or merging all directories under an equivalent of
22 a $WINDOWS/ path, but it seems to me a gentoo system architecture should
23 retain the freedom of choice and flexibility it has been famous for.
24 Retrograde steps like being forced to use an initramfs just for retaining a
25 separate /usr partition, should not be the way gentoo evolves. Setting up a
26 USE flag to accommodate such changes would be more agreeable for many gentoo
27 users, rather than changing the default set up.
28
29 NOTE: Please do not start a flamewar, I'm just expressing my opinion as a long
30 term gentoo user who prefers to use gentoo for personal computing, instead of
31 other binary systemd based distros.
32 --
33 Regards,
34