From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to properly change CFLAGS ?
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 03:25:47
1 On 8/21/06, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Richard Fish schrieb:
3 > > or "emerge -e world" to complete. I would be tempted to just change
4 > > the flags and hold off on recompiling everything until the next
5 > > version of gcc comes out.
6 >
7 > ( ... "next version" in terms of minor- or major-version?)
8
9 Gcc version numbers are in the form of X.Y.Z, so at a change in X or
10 Y. The .Z changes should be just bug-fixes. The sad thing is that,
11 due to changes in the C++ library, it is commonly to recompile all C++
12 applications when a new version of gcc comes out. And even if it
13 isn't strictly /necessary/, an emerge -e world is considered the safe
14 way to handle a gcc upgrade.
15
16 > I see the point in this. (AFAIK there is no way to break up "emerge -e
17 > xy" into smaller pieces, something to do in several separated steps.
18
19 Actually there is. You can find all packages not compiled with -Os
20 and rebuild them with something like:
21
22 cd /var/db/pkg
23 for pkg in */* ; do
24 grep -v -- "-Os" $pkg/CFLAGS >/dev/null
25 test $? -eq 0 && emerge --oneshot =$pkg
26 done
27
28 > From your posting I conclude that it also won't do any harm to re-emerge
29 > selected parts with new CFLAGS?)
30
31 Correct.
32
33 > Apart from this I have enough computer-related experience to know that I
34 > simply should be happy with the
35 > luks-encrypted/cpufreq'ed/hibernating/etc. gentoo-system I now have at
36 > hand, instead of spending numerous hours to gain minimal speedups.
37
38 Hrm, I also have the experience, but apparently not the good sense.... :-P
39
40 -Richard
41 --
42 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list