From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ipw2100 problems - ieee80211?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 07:18:16
1 On Thursday 12 October 2006 06:00, Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > They're going to install wireless in my school so I guess I better
3 > get this working sometime soon : )
4
5 Several people responded to your request so far, and maybe that has
6 solved your problem. But no-one fully answered your original question,
7 so fwiw here's my answer. You may not need this info if the standard
8 driver in the kernel works for you.
9
10 > I isolated my problem to this:
11 >
12 > emerge ipw2100 ties in ieee80211, and that fails to compile because
13 > it says that the current kernel cannot have the option IEEE80211 in
14 > either module or enabled. It needs it disabled.
15
16 Yes, you can't have a module in the kernel code-tree and another
17 external module emerged at the same time - you end up with two
18 different modules with the same name and that's a conflict
19
20 > I tried to use menuconfig and disable it, however, the only way I can
21 > do that is by literally disabling ALL networking - drivers and all.
22 >
23 > Kernel is kernel 2.6.17-gentoo-r8.
24
25 As Bo said, that kernel comes with ipw2100 drivers and they might suit
26 your needs. But I have an ipw2200 card and the kernel tree modules
27 don't work well for me, so I have to emerge ipw2200. You might find the
28 same.
29
30 > I'm considering editing the makefile and removing its dependency on
31 > that blasted kernel configuration setting!
32
33 No, don't do that. Instead read the emerge messages and do what they
34 say.
35
36 You first have to disable ipw2100 in menuconfig. It's one of the
37 networking device drivers, so just unselect it.
38
39 ipw2100 also comes with it's own ieee80211 which must also replace the
40 existing code in the kernel. In menuconfig, go to Networking and
41 there's a section called Wirelss (non ham radio) or similar. Enable it,
42 and press enter. Now the config knows about wireless, but deselect the
43 ieee80211 and ieee80211crypt stuff at the bottom of the list.
44
45 Exit save and compile.
46
47 Then emerge ipw2100 and ieee80211. You may get a message that you have
48 to remove code files from the kernel tree, with a command supplied that
49 you have to run. That's OK, just run it (the files that get deleted are
50 replaced with the out-of-tree modules you are about to merge.
51
52 Then read up everything you can on the new baselayout networking
53 configuration. There's info on the gentoo docs, the wiki and it's been
54 beaten to death on this list, so no need for me to repeat all that now
55
56 Continue, share, enjoy
57
58 alan