From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] wicd and net-tools
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 21:21:16
1 On Sun, Nov 27 2011, Dan Johansson wrote:
2
3 > On Sunday 27 November 2011 02.02:54 Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
5 >> > In the last day or two wicd broke badly due to a net-tools upgrade.
6 >> >
7 >> > The recommended workarounds are to specify USE=old-output
8 >> > for net-tools or to downgrade net-tools one version (I am ~amd64).
9 >> >
10 >> > Neither of these have helped me. Wicd cannot start either the
11 >> > wired or wireless interface.
12 >>
13 >> I have no solution, but just a "me too" that wicd-based networking
14 >> stopped working entirely after I emerged some updates a couple days
15 >> ago. My short-term "solution" was just stop wicd and use the old-style
16 >> net init script instead since I haven't had time to research any this
17 >> weekend yet.
18 >
19 > I had the same issue after upgrading net-tools, wicd stoped working.
20 > While googling for a solution I found a workaround: Use the "ioctl" backend
21 > instead of the "external" backend.
22 > For me this workaround works.
23
24 Thanks for the comments. I did the changes suggested in the bug report
25 (downgrade net-tools or specify USE=old-output). This changed the
26 behavior, but it was far from perfect.
27
28 The next morning, however, after no hardware/software changes but after
29 our thanksgiving guests (plus their laptops, phones, and ipads) left,
30 wicd is working pretty well on both affected machines. I was nowhere near
31 the 50 dhcp connection limit, but perhaps the extra radio transmissions
32 were hurting. Anyway now one machine has the downgraded net-tools, the
33 other USE=old-output and both seem to work.
34
35 This was definitely not fun. Now for a really scary thought. I just
36 let portage put gnome 3 on my "extra" laptop. That machine has a fresh
37 fairly minimalistic desktop/gnome install. Light testing shows gnome-3
38 works as advertised. Do I dare put it on my real laptop? I am tempted
39 to wait until intersession so as not to hinder preparing for my
40 lectures; but I worry about letting a system go 1 month without updates.
41
42 allan