From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logs in the browser?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 16:01:33
1 On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 10:33 AM, Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2 > Maybe I could set up some other web-app that (a) looks at the link
3 > pointing to the postfix.service-logs and (b) filters them?
4 >
5 > I could post to the systemd-devel-ml ... btw ;-)
8 Seems like there should be a systemd-users mailing list, actually.
9 This sort of situation is completely distro-agnostic.
10
11 You certainly could design such an application. If you do so I'd
12 consider pulling the journald logs in JSON format. I'd also see if
13 somebody actually has written a journald library/class/etc for your
14 language of choice - it seems like that is the sort of thing that is
15 likely to exist soon if not already. One of the goals journald (and
16 systemd) is to provide more of an API for services so that there is
17 less parsing of text files and communicating via signals/etc. I'm
18 sure with appropriate permissions a process could just obtain log
19 entries via dbus, and using cursors poll for new entries (or maybe
20 there is a push/stream mechanism).
21
22 Really though it seems like the solution is a generic log monitor with
23 rules for such things, with the monitor utilizing the JSON data from
24 journald for richer metadata/efficiency/accuracy.
27 Rich