From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logs in the browser?
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 15:33:24
1 On 24.02.2015 13:14, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > I suspect this is trivial - it looks like something like this would work:
4 > http://.../entries?_SYSTEMD_UNIT=postfix.service
5
6 Yes, correct, as I thought this is the easy part.
7
8 Works:
9
10 http://mythtv.local:19531/entries?_SYSTEMD_UNIT=postfix.service
11
12 (using my mythbackend as test target).
15 > (note, you might need to tweak that - I haven't used the http gateway
16 > personally and am going from the manpage)
17 >
18 >> AND only the lines relevant for the domain of the specific customer by
19 >> doing this?
20 >
21 > I think you're going to be stuck here unless they come from different
22 > machines or something like that. Obviously you can pipe the output
23 > through grep but journald will only pre-filter the output using
24 > journal fields, like facility, priority, etc. syslog only provided a
25 > few fields for clients to specify, and this is probably because in the
26 > end the data just got dumped to a text file so that it wasn't
27 > searchable by field anyway. It would be nice if they extended the
28 > syslog protocol for systemd and made it possible for clients to
29 > specify additional fields, but obviously the client would need to
30 > support this (likely sending logs over dbus or such).
31 >
32 > The http gateway seems like it is intended more as a transport
33 > mechanism with some usability for ad-hoc human viewing. It isn't a
34 > full-fledged log analysis tool. The fact that journald can output in
35 > JSON with uuids for each entry should make it far easier to parse its
36 > logs with an analysis tool, but I think all those vendors are playing
37 > catch-up. I suspect they'll support it fairly soon once they see
38 > everybody using it. From a machine parsing standpoint the fielded
39 > binary format makes a lot more sense.
40
41 Maybe I could set up some other web-app that (a) looks at the link
42 pointing to the postfix.service-logs and (b) filters them?
43
44 I could post to the systemd-devel-ml ... btw ;-)
45
46 Stefan