From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to hide a network interface from an application
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 11:26:54
1 On Sun, Aug 16, 2020 at 7:07 AM Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Sat, 15 Aug 2020 12:22:19 -0600, Grant Taylor wrote:
4 >
5 > > I dislike Docker, but I do like the idea of containers or network
6 > > namespaces.
7 >
8 > Going OT here, but why do you dislike Docker? I've only recently started
9 > using it, so if there are any major, or otherwise, drawbacks, I'd like to
10 > know before I get too entwined in their ecosystem.
11
12 It has been a while since I've tried it, but networking with Docker is
13 a PITA. Just having it use DHCP/DNS like any normal host isn't an
14 option, and it seems like you have to stick some kind of reverse proxy
15 in front of everything.
16
17 I can see how it makes sense at scale. However, if you just need one
18 instance of something, it is just way more complexity than you need.
19
20 I personally use nspawn to run my containers, with a network
21 namespace. They just have their own MACs, run DHCP, and generally
22 work like any VM minus the memory use.
23
24 But, perhaps I just need to drink more of the kool-aide and it will
25 click some day. All I want is to be able to type a.b.com in my
26 browser and have it display the service I just started up. With
27 nspawn that is just a matter of a few lines in dhcpd.conf and my BIND
28 config.
31 Rich