From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to hide a network interface from an application
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 13:25:20
1 On Sun, 16 Aug 2020 07:26:36 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > Going OT here, but why do you dislike Docker? I've only recently
4 > > started using it, so if there are any major, or otherwise, drawbacks,
5 > > I'd like to know before I get too entwined in their ecosystem.
6 >
7 > It has been a while since I've tried it, but networking with Docker is
8 > a PITA. Just having it use DHCP/DNS like any normal host isn't an
9 > option, and it seems like you have to stick some kind of reverse proxy
10 > in front of everything.
11
12 That makes sense, although I'm running a reverse proxy anyway as I have
13 different services on different hosts behind a single public IP address.
14
15 I saw a systems using Traefik last week. Traefik offers some sort of
16 auto-discovery to handle this sort of thing.
17
18 > I can see how it makes sense at scale. However, if you just need one
19 > instance of something, it is just way more complexity than you need.
20
21 Yes, it's more work for a single container, but once you start running
22 more there's very little extra work involved.
23
24 > I personally use nspawn to run my containers, with a network
25 > namespace. They just have their own MACs, run DHCP, and generally
26 > work like any VM minus the memory use.
27
28 I've used nspawn in the past and it worked well for what I needed, maybe
29 I need to revisit it.
30
31 > But, perhaps I just need to drink more of the kool-aide and it will
32 > click some day. All I want is to be able to type a.b.com in my
33 > browser and have it display the service I just started up. With
34 > nspawn that is just a matter of a few lines in dhcpd.conf and my BIND
35 > config.
36
37 That seems to be what Traefik promises when used with Docker, make that
38 Kool-Aid a double :)
42 Neil Bothwick
43
44 Windows Error #09: Mouse not found. Press mouse button to continue.