From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using systemd timers as a cron replacement
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 21:16:58
1 On Saturday, August 22, 2015 4:52:47 PM allan gottlieb wrote:
2 > I use systemd and wish to employ timers an analogue of cron.daily. The
3 system is a laptop that is normally turned off each evening.
4 >
5 > As I read the manuals one can have either a monotone or a realtime timer.
6 But I seem to need features of each.
7 >
8 > Specifically, I would like the daily timer to trigger 10 minutes (say) after
9 boot (OnBootSec=600) but not more than once a day (OnCalendar=daily).
10 > The manual and several wiki pages suggest that you can't mix monotone and
11 realtime options.
12 >
13 > Am I misreading the manual (and mixing is permitted) or is there a way to
14 achieve my goals with just monotone or just realtime options.
15
16 I think so, this is what systemd.timer(5) says:
17
18 Multiple directives may be combined of the same and of different types. For
19 example, by
20 combining OnBootSec= and OnUnitActiveSec=, it is possible to define a timer
21 that elapses in
22 regular intervals and activates a specific service each time.
23
24 There's also sys-process/systemd-cron that works like a regular cron and seems
25 to work fine for me but I haven't tested it depth.
28 > thanks,
29 > allan
33 Fernando Rodriguez