From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 07:50:59
1 On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 06:52:41PM -0500, Dale wrote
2
3 > I didn't miss anything. I get what some are saying. The reason for
4 > my question is this. Gentoo allows a person to customize the OS to
5 > the specific hardware it is being run on. Redhat and other binary
6 > distros don't allow this, unless you compile your own packages which
7 > is no longer really a binary install.
8 >
9 > So, if I install Redhat on my machine, would it be less efficient than
10 > my Gentoo install which is customized for my hardware? Has someone
11 > else tested this and made it public?
12
13 I'm not aware of any. There is my experience with NHL Gamecenter
14 Live on my 2007 Dell Inspiron D530 desktop with onboard Intel GPU. The
15 initial Gentoo install could not handle even the slowest feed. That was
16 the generic i686 code from the initial stage 3. After I ran "emerge
17 system" and "emerge world" including the "-march=native" flag it handles
18 the lowest speed stream just fine. CPU is Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU
19 E4600 @ 2.40GHz.
22 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
23 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications