From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 23:52:55
1 Mateusz Kowalczyk wrote:
2 > On 14/03/13 22:41, Dale wrote:
3 >> Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >>> On 2013-03-14, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> I was wondering. Has anyone ever seen where a test as been done to
7 >>>> compare the speed of Gentoo with other distros? Maybe Gentoo compared
8 >>>> to Redhat, Mandrake, Ubuntu and such?
9 >>> I just did a test, and they're all the same.
10 >>>
11 >>> CDs/DVDS of various distros dropped from a height of 1m all hit the
12 >>> floor simultaneously [there are random variations due to aerodynamic
13 >>> instability of the disk shape, but it's the same for all distros]. If
14 >>> launched horizontally with spin to provide attitude stability (thrown
15 >>> like a frisbee), they all fly the same.
16 >>>
17 >>> The point being, you're going to have to define "speed".
18 >>>
19 >>> Does speed refer to
20 >>>
21 >>> Installation time?
22 >>>
23 >>> Boot time?
24 >>>
25 >>> Linpack?
26 >>>
27 >>> Dhrystone?
28 >>>
29 >>> Whetstone?
30 >>>
31 >>> Time for me to figure out how to fix a configuration problem?
32 >>>
33 >>> Time to do to an update on a machine that's been unplugged for a year?
34 >>>
35 >>> Time to to produce a packaged version of some random C program that
36 >>> comes with a Makefile that uses autotools?
37 >>>
38 >>> Time for a reported bug to get fixed?
39 >>>
40 >>
41 >> OK. It appears not very many can figure out what I asked for. So, let
42 >> me spell it out for those who are challenged. LOL ;-) Read some
43 >> humor into that OK.
44 >>
45 >> Install a OS. Run tests on a set of programs and record the time it
46 >> takes to complete a certain task. More tasks the better.
47 >>
48 >> Then install another OS on the same hardware. Run tests on a set of
49 >> programs and record the time it takes to complete a certain task. More
50 >> tasks the better.
51 >>
52 >> The object of this is, does Gentoo with the customization it allows run
53 >> faster than some binary install that does NOT allow those controls? In
54 >> other words, can a Gentoo based install perform more efficiently than a
55 >> binary based install like Redhat, Ubuntu or some other distro?
56 >>
57 >> I am NOT concerned about compile times or the install itself.
58 >>
59 >> Does that put the dots closer together for the challenged ones? ROFL
60 >>
61 >> Dale
62 >>
63 >> :-) :-)
64 >>
65 > The point of the challenged ones was that while we can take measurements
66 > like these, it's rather meaningless to do so. The result will be
67 > different for every single person out there depending on their
68 > configuration, USE, CFLAGS and who knows what else.
69 >
70 > I can compile a package with support for 3 different DEs, few WMs, oss
71 > and alsa and about a billion things I will never use. Does this make for
72 > a more or less of a meaningful test than doing the same test with no
73 > flags what so ever? There is no correct answer as it varies per user
74 > basis. The most meaningful measurements that we can probably take would
75 > be between different USE flags configurations. Maybe we can say that
76 > package ‘foo’ with certain USE and CFLAGS runs in less average time than
77 > the same package on a distro Bar.
78 >
79 > In my opinion, it would be far more meaningful to measure the effect of
80 > different USE flags on the same package, *in relative time* on the same
81 > system. This would give us more idea about the impact of each flag as
82 > opposed to a very limited view of ‘package foo with certain specific USE
83 > flags runs 10ms faster than the same package on the same hardware on a
84 > binary distribution’. If you still want such measurements and you want
85 > them to be somewhat meaningful to you, it is you who will have to take
86 > them. Unless there are some gross inconsistencies in run times on
87 > different distributions, we have no use for such measurement.
88 >
89 > Everyone understood what you asked for. It's _you_ that misunderstood
90 > their explanation for why it's meaningless to ask such a question in the
91 > first place.
94 I didn't miss anything. I get what some are saying. The reason for my
95 question is this. Gentoo allows a person to customize the OS to the
96 specific hardware it is being run on. Redhat and other binary distros
97 don't allow this, unless you compile your own packages which is no
98 longer really a binary install.
99
100 So, if I install Redhat on my machine, would it be less efficient than
101 my Gentoo install which is customized for my hardware? Has someone else
102 tested this and made it public?
103
104 If people can't get this, never mind.
105
106 Dale
107
111 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!