From: nunojsilva@×××××××.pt
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 13:23:54
1 On 2013-03-15, Dale wrote:
2
3 > I didn't miss anything. I get what some are saying. The reason for my
4 > question is this. Gentoo allows a person to customize the OS to the
5 > specific hardware it is being run on. Redhat and other binary distros
6 > don't allow this, unless you compile your own packages which is no
7 > longer really a binary install.
8 >
9 > So, if I install Redhat on my machine, would it be less efficient than
10 > my Gentoo install which is customized for my hardware? Has someone else
11 > tested this and made it public?
12 >
13 > If people can't get this, never mind.
14
15 I have not tested this nor seen data on this, but I'd look for
16 comparisons on the efficiency and gains from gcc optimizations. These
17 would be what benefits source-based distros on a specific system
18 compared to binary distros, and a benchmark made with gcc will be
19 simpler and easier to deal with than an os-wide benchmark.
22 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
23 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/