From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: webrsync {SOLVED}
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2020 08:31:03
1 On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 18:59:27 -0800, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2
3 > In a desperate act to satisfy the ever increasing build space
4 > requirements for firefox and its kin, I'd symlinked /var/tmp/portage to
5 > a subdirectory of /usr/portage. And webrsync does "rsync ... --delete
6 > ...", so now you see where this is going.
7 >
8 > Fortunately, as you say, the recovery was easy once I knew what went
9 > wrong.
10 >
11 > > You might consider moving the sync location out of /usr while you're
12 > > at it. Also, if you haven't already done so get
13 > > /usr/portage/distfiles outside of the repo directory. For new
14 > > installs both of these are moved to /var in non-nested directories,
15 > > but existing installs will continue to use their present locations.
16 >
17 > But I already have a bunch of symlinks to juggle the space requirements
18 > and I would rather not revisit that, right now. On my system /var is in
19 > the / filesystem and doesn't have that much space (less than the 8G
20 > necessary to build firefox). At some future spring cleaning time,
21 > maybe.
22
23 There's no need for any symlinks, just set $PORTAGE_TMPDIR globally then
24 separate for greedy packages. For example, in make.conf I have
25
26 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
27
28 Then /etc/portage/package.env/firefox contains
29
30 www-client/firefox disk-tmpdir.conf
31
32 and /etc/portage/env/disk-tmpdir.conf contains
33
34 PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/mnt/scratch"
35
36 So I get faster tmpfs based builds for most packages and use a disposable
37 disk partition for the greedy ones.
41 Neil Bothwick
42
43 And if you say "No", I shall be forced to shoot you.